Saturday, March 28, 2009

Iran's Salt Domes, Near Persian Gulf




More than 200 piercement salt plugs are present in southern Iran and in the Persian Gulf region. Recent investigations have shown the salt, the Hormuz Series, to be largely of Precambrian (late Proterozoic) age. The diapirs are famous for their tongue-like projections, known as "salt glaciers," and for their associated igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary exotic blocks. In many places the salt plugs form spectacular mountains, rising up to 4,000 ft above the adjacent valley floor. The diapirs generally are associated with anticlines, and in many areas pierce the structure at the plunging end or on the flanks. Diapirs in synclines also are present. (source: Salt Diapirism in Southern Iran, M. A. Ala, AAPG Bulletin Volume 58)


3 comments:

jmsjoin said...

Those are absolutely gorgeous! I take it Iran was under water too at one time. You never think of that. Those are beautiful!

nunya said...

Wow, those are very striking photographs. Thanks for posting :)

Naj said...

Yup, striking they are! I have to say I had no clue about them myself.

Apparently, these mountains were the source of edible salt for the southern provinces. I knew "salt mountains" existed in Iran, I didn't know of their striking beauty!

I wish I go back and "see" Iran before it becomes a tourist stampede ... but I also appreciate tourism; which I am sure will reduce our reliance on oil!